Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Welcome Aboard Guv Ritter!

Below are excerpts from a letter not-sent to our newly minted Governor, Bill Ritter. Here we go:

Welcome aboard Guv Ritter! You are number 41...As one of those "evil" socially conservative Republicans, I will try and stay out of the spotlight as much as possible. Some of your political allies see us akin to mold. Honestly, I thought that I would be penning a congratulatory letter to your gubernatorial opponent, Bob Beauprez. But its you not he who sits in the governor's high-backed leather chair today. Your friends and allies are in overdrive telling us how focused, teachable and visionary you are. We have even heard that you are bipartisan. Time will tell. But one thing is for sure-your office is no longer the Denver District Attorney's suite. Humbly, I would like to offer three gentle suggestions to you. I know that a lot of folks are telling you how to govern and what your first acts should be, so here's my two cents worth:

1- Don't let the job create a wedge between you and your family. They will still be your family long after your guv job ends.

2- Don't rush to judgment. My mom always told me that haste makes waste. What might look good now stinks a year from now.

3- Be cautious who you keep time with. Pandering and patronage are long-held political tools to get politicians to embrace an agenda. Get out of Denver a bit and see how the rest of the state lives.

Finally, I know that you have political debts to pay but remember you are every Coloradans governor, even us evil Republicans...

Sincerely,

Jim Chapman

No comments: