Monday, September 17, 2007

Daily Humility

When I back my car out of my driveway every morning and head to the office, my own level of personal humility for that day is not often on my mind. I must admit that I am thinking about "my ministries", work, finances et al.

But today's personal devotion hit me between the eyes. You guessed it-personal humility.

I must admit that while I have studied and reflected upon the issue of humility, its one that more often than not slips by me. Its not that I am an egostic or self-absorbed too much; I just don't think about it much.

But that's not how God would have it.

1 Peter 5:5 and following declares that we are to "cloth ourselves with humility." That seems to be pretty encompassing. I am to wrap myself in God's humility towards others. What kind of a world would it be if everyone acted this way? A lot different.

It just seems to me that there's a deep power and peace that comes with humility. Mother Teresa (who I have blogged about before) exemplified this notion of humility. She lived it. She poured it out on those around her. She was a powerful woman in a different way. She watered the dry ground around her with humility, service and grace.

Let's be spigots of humility today. The ground is really thirsty.

Your thoughts?

No comments: