Tuesday, January 08, 2008

The Right Position for 2008

At the beginning of each new year my mailbox is stuffed with mailers offering to maximize my talents and to position me professionally, personally and financially. They all tout that I can achieve the success and happiness I need if I follow their advice and purchase their material.

I have no doubt that God wants me to utilize my gifts to their utmost for His kingdom. Being sharp in these key areas will benefit me. But here’s where the subtle trap comes in- it would be very easy to twist my gifting and promote my abilities for my own gain, ignoring what God has given me for now. God gifts all of us with unique abilities to further His Kingdom. My gifting is a means to and end, not the endgame. We tread on thin ice when we alone attempt to position ourselves by championing our abilities.

A good biblical reminder is Abraham. Here was a man who experienced spiritual highs and lows. On the one hand, God exercised a covenant with him, promising him that his descendants would be more numerous than the dust of the desert (Gen. 13:16). Yet, on the other hand, his faith wobbled when he could not see how God could accomplish this covenant and he conceived an illegitimate son with his wife’s female servant (Gen. 16:4).Through these mistakes, Abraham still emerged as one of the pillars of the Old Testament, a man whose heart was for God and who realized that God would position and provide everything he needed, even if it meant losing his promised son (Gen. 22).

Abraham learned a vital lesson, one which is applicable today. What God desires most from us is not our position in life but a heart bent towards him.

As 2008 unfolds, trust in God to position you and your family. Don’t ignore sharpening your unique gifts or skills. Just be wary that you don’t make yourself the endgame. God is at work in your life, profession and family (Rom. 8:28). Instead, trust God to continue to place you exactly where He wants you to be.

As RMFC moves forward in 2008, our desire is to be rightly positioned by God. We believe that it’s the season now for building a strong marriage culture in our region. Please note all of the excellent resources in this newsletter, including our 2008 Colorado Legislative Preview and our upcoming marriage and family seminars. These seminars are taught by great communicators and are designed to enrich your relationship. Happy New Year!

No comments: